Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Culturally Relevant Ministry


In thinking about the whole issue of cultural relevance, I decided to draw a cartoon that's been in my head for awhile, seeking to show a comic side to some of the limits of cultural relevance. I have good friends on both sides of the issue when it comes to the merits of getting a tattoo if you are a Christian. I do not think that getting tattoos and the like is inherently wrong. However, I do believe that the motives behind getting a tattoo, or drinking a beer for that matter, are very important. In thinking these things through scripturally and prayerfully, I have found the following resources helpful in giving guidance. The first is an article in the Christian Research Journal that deals directly with tattoos (http://journal.equip.org/issues/under-the-needle-tattoos). The second is a talk by D.A. Carson, research professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and organizer of The Gospel Coalition. The talk by Carson was given at the 2009 Gospel Coalition Conference:http://s3.amazonaws.com/tgc-video/2009-conference/plenary/Carson_session_10.mp3.

No comments:

Post a Comment